Managing My Money
Week 2: Income, Tax and Benefits - Part 1, Episode 3
Share Radio & Open University Business School
'It is better to have a permanent income than to be fascinating'.
to Managing My Money presented by Glen Goodman and Annie Weston
Taking control of your finances with the show that's a course ..
- Eight weeks of two 25 minute episodes each
- A short online test at the end of each pair of episodes
- A slightly longer test at the end of the last week, followed by your ..
- Statement of Participation Certificate
Having a high income doesn't necessarily mean you're wealthy
Having wealth doesn't necessarily mean you have cash to spare
Income and/or Wealth
Bonfire of the Vanities
A method of releasing some of the cash value from a property you own
Different types of Wealth - your 'Assets'
- Savings Account, with some interest income
- Home ownership, illiquid & no income
- Liquid Assets: cash balances, shares in large companies
- Pension scheme: illiquid until you're 55+
- Sales via e-Bay: pot luck!
Wages chase prices in a spiral of increase: so no-one's better off. Meanwhile money saved becomes worth less.
Ben, Bill's bungling accomplice, and how inflation has eroded their loot ..
Different types of Inflation
- CPI (generally lower than RPI)
- RPI (includes mortgages: borrowing to buy a house)
- What's measured - the basket, what's in, what's out
Listen to Part 2 of Week 2 on Share Radio - then take the Week 2 quiz/test. As you take each week of the course, your results will build up on your personal dashboard.
Managing My Money
is broadcast by Share Radio and is based on the Open University Business School online course of the same name.
Your presenters are Glen Goodman and Annie Weston.
Managing My Money - Week 2, Episode 1